7.08.2013

Re-Challenges #7 and #34

Okay, here’s another two re-challenges for you…sorry that I didn’t get any up last Wednesday or the one before that.  We went on vacation to the beautiful Black Hills area of South Dakota, where apparently there aren’t many cell phone towers for me to get on to the internet.  And on top of that, we camped at campgrounds, so no free wi-fi for some reason.  ;)    So, here are the challenges I’d planned on doing, but forgot to schedule before we left.  Oops.  Sorry. 

----------------------------
Re-challenge #7:

Have you ever seen a magazine article or an ad with numbers in bold, and then some information that is pertinent to that number? Well, that is the inspiration for this week’s challenge!

The Challenge: What numbers best represent you?

You can do this a couple of different ways. You can make a list from 0-10 (or even to 20!), and think of something about you for each number. You can also write a list of some things you’d like to share and figure out the numbers for each thing.

I’ve thought about some things to give you a jump-start:

Places I’ve lived.

Years I was in formal schooling.

Years I have been married/dating.

My age.

Number of children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews/brothers/sisters/etc.

Pairs of shoes/ties/jeans/sweaters/etc. I currently own.

Bedrooms in my current home.

Times I’ve been a patient at the hospital.

Pets I’ve had.

Times I’ve been outside the U.S.

Hours of sleep I get each night.

Minutes I spend getting ready for the day.

Projects I’m currently working on.

Vacations I’ve been on this year.

Traffic tickets I’ve gotten.

Accidents I’ve been in.

Childhood friends I’m still in contact with.

Countries I’ve visited.

Continents I’ve visited.

Boyfriends I had.

States I’ve lived in.

Countries I’ve lived in.

Continents I’ve lived on.

Boys/girls I kissed.

Cavities I’ve had.

Years I was/have been in the military.

Years at my current job.

Years playing instrument/sport.

Hobbies I’m currently passionate about.

Paid jobs I’ve had.

Years until I retire.

Foods I’m allergic to.

Cars I’ve owned.

Eyeglass prescriptions I’ve had.

Minutes/hours I read each day.

Mountain peaks I’ve climbed.

Times I’ve been bungee jumping/skydiving.

Times I brush my teeth each day.

Times I change my clothes each day.

Minutes/hours I spend on the computer/facebook/blog/etc. each day.

And yes, the list can go on and on…!

----------

What I did:

I went through this list, and decided which things I wanted to highlight. I made a 12x12 scrapbook page, similar to a magazine ad I saw. I wanted to put a cute picture of me on there too, but alas, I am always the one behind the lens and I seriously couldn’t find anything but the picture I already used on a challenge.

Here’s a look at my page.

me by the numbers i

This is just another version, using only the numbers 0-10. me by the numbers copy 2i Scrapbook Credits: Paper, scallops and stitching: Creativity by Crystal, Fonts: Cooper Standard, Pushkin, and CK Higgins Handprint.

You don’t have to make a scrapbook page though—you can just write it down in a journal or word processing document. You can write a simple poem or jingle about it. You can even take pictures that represent these things and put them on your blog or make a slideshow with music if you want! The possibilities are endless on how you can record this week’s challenge! Now, go write down your own numbers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Re-challenge #34

This challenge was originally given in December, but I though it’d be fun to bring up again in July, since most people have fun summer traditions to record then too!  (Well, at least it’s summer here on the northern hemisphere…)  What are some fun summer traditions you have?  Family reunions?  Summer activities like boating, camping, hiking, a certain vacation spot?  Certain holiday get-togethers?

Every time I hear the word “tradition”, I can’t help but sing the same titled song from “The Fiddler on the Roof”!  A lot of traditions are deep-rooted, and have been around for too many years to count.  Other traditions have just been started, or are a few years old.  It doesn’t matter how long it’s been, it’s still fun to record it!

What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?

You can record some of the traditions you’ve had your whole life, some you had growing up, or some you have started recently.  Make a list of all the traditions you can think of, record one favorite from each time period of your life, or even focus on all the ins and outs of just one.
Here are some sub-questions to help you get thinking:  How did it start?  How long has it been going?  Have you changed the tradition at all through the years?  How long do you foresee this tradition continuing?  What do you hope your family will remember about it?  How has it helped your family grow closer to each other? 
Here’s a couple of ideas of things that we did, and there will be a few more next week from the rest of the TIMC team! 

----------------
What Laura did:
For the past few years, I’ve put together a December Daily album*.  I’ve approached it a few different ways.  Last year I also participated in a month-long photography workshop where I was prompted to take a different picture everyday in December.  My journaling for my book last year didn’t necessarily go with the picture that I took, but at least I got journaling written and a different picture taken for every day.
This is the page that I put together for last year’s mini-book.
DSCF8141
And the journaling:
DSCF8142
I love the traditions that we do share as a family, even if they aren’t extravagant.  I think everyone’s favorite in our house is the night we watch The Polar Express.  We make a big bowl of popcorn and enjoy the movie and being together as a family.
(*If you’ve never heard of a December Daily Album, check it out on Ali Edwards’ blog here.)

---------------
What Rachel did:
I took some time to reflect this week about some of our family Christmas traditions and where they came from. I could have made some many layouts just on this topic. I picked a couple traditions that we do with our kids and took pictures of them. In addition to what I have on my layout; we also go to our church Christmas program, read and watch Christmas stories all month, read the bible Christmas story on Christmas eve, have a special family Christmas meal…I love the holiday season and everything about it!
TIMC 6 Holiday traditions-001
Credits: All paper and embellishment are from the kit “Christmas” by Albums to Remember. Pictures by Rachel.

--------------
What I did:
My husband and I got married 4 days before Christmas, which meant we were on our honeymoon for our 1st Christmas together.  I thought it’d be fun to buy a Christmas ornament to remember it by, but then it became a tradition!  Most every place we go on vacation, we buy a Christmas ornament, or something that we can make into one.  We all love reminiscing about the places we went and who went and how old the kids were as we decorate our tree each year!  I decided I wanted to scrapbook the story of our ornament tradition!
Christmas Ornaments 1Christmas Ornaments 2
Credits: All designed by me.

---------------------------------------
Well, there you have it…a little bit of something fun to record.  Take some time to record some fun summer traditions and a little bit about you by the numbers!  Smile

No comments: